Saturday 25 December 2010

for prettythin

Dear James,

    I doubt very much that I will get a response from you. I never have before, and I am about to perform a massive U turn with my opinion of this site.

   I am in a position where I have used PT both through my ED and during my recovery. I can now, with insight and a clear head say that PT certainly made my ED worse.

  Now, from this, I would suggest that PT encourages ED's. Which, in turn would make it "pro ana".

  I spent a huge amount of time in the forums, and despite the no tip rule, there are diets, messages of "support" (Basically saying "Keep strong, Don't eat") and very unwell people searching fro a little attention.

  This is a cocktail for "creepers" as you call them.

I have to say, that I attended some safeguarding training for my job. Prettythin was discussed. Yes, PT was flashed on a screen and described as "a massive concern."

Why? Because it attracts paedophiles and encourages starvation. No matter what your disclaimer says.

  I need to say this: Young women suffering from an ed are not in a place where they can make good judgements. I know, I've been there.

An ED makes us want to believe what we see. PT feels sake as well, making it even harder to see that someone may be a 40 year old man. Many members give out facebook details, phone numbers, even on occasion addresses

What people seem to be horribly naive of is that the point of being groomed is that YOU DON'T REALISE. Do you know how easy it is to find out what school someone attends? Use facebook or PT to see what they look like?

Add to this the fact that many many members just want to feel worth something, and it is a recipe for disaster. "Creepers" Know what to look for. They search for vulnerabilities and exploit them.

It horrifies me that when I have brought this up on PT, I have been met with responses such as "Oh, I know I'm not talking to Paedos." or "I only give my phone number to people  I've got to know,"

There is a terrifying lack of awareness on here, and I feel you have a responsibility to do something about that.

You are quite simply not doing enough. PT needs an age restriction, needs moderators online 24/7. Needs an instant "panic button"

Above all else, PT members need it drummed into them that This place is quite simply NOT SAFE. Remember that it is well known enough to be topic for conversation at a safeguarding course.

You know, I'm going to post this on the forums too. as I doubt you will even aknowledge it.

Yours,

Bella

1 comment:

  1. Well I hope you do get a response, uv described a reality that I guess is easily ignored often,
    Ur blog is reli good and the website, I think its urs yes? its a gr8 idea,
    xx

    ReplyDelete